Friday, August 8, 2014

Weathering Stormy Seas. ...

Weathering stormy seas
The title is an understatement. After 4 plus hours on the sea yesterday as we travelled over 80 nautical miles, to Oso penninusla in a tiny un-cushioned boat (we all have achy boat butt today, spinal cord injuries and the cramps are starting to come out of our hands from white knuckling and our skin is almost dry), we are safely back on dry land.   Right now we are enjoying the peaceful sound of rain hitting the ground and not our face, in our VRBO while the macaw's hide in nearby trees to stay dry and I enjoy a warm cup of tea.  

Personally, I did more praying in 4 hours on the water yesterday than I do in a week.  I barely opened my eyes to see more water coming at us from all directions including the sky and not one inch of our bodies were dry.   All I could do was say the Lord's Prayer and pray for the fear ball mixed with anxiety in my stomach was HUGE... Heather and Hunter were clenched together for security while Jeff and I tried to see where we going through the grey clouds winds and buckets of rain.  Heather and I exchange a few light chuckles along with that are we crazy look.  I couldn't help think of the comfortable trips on the Eaton's boat and thought to myself even captain Scott who loves the ocean wouldn't do what we are doing he would head back to the harbor.  All this wetness and our guide kept saying we are almost there, almost there are you nuts?  In California what you call 15 minutes is 45....  Lesson: Costa Rica time is different.

We arrive at Oso, two plus bone jerking hours later and now it's time for the boat dismount...oh but wait, not until a few waves hit the front of the boat and we are drenched, as the captain tries backing into a beach with tons of floating debris from trees that swarm around us.  One guide holds the boat and we are attempting to jump off the back between waves as the other guy tries to motor through them back and fourth back and fourth.  Keep in mind we need to get Hunter out of the boat Heather, me Jeff and our stuff... And our guides thinking save the boat.   There is something about getting on land that is not moving that has lots of promise..... We go for it and jump into a couple of feet of water after the Hunter handoff and we are exhausted but safe and happy... We did it.  Oh wait we need our backpacks and water from the boat...the guide is in 5 feet of water wading through it and luckily keeps those cameras and diapers dry....

Take a deep breath, praise God we are all safe. Let's go hike one of the places on earth few people will ever visit (I might have a clue as to why).  Look for Tapirs and wild life.  But then a second later as we start getting our land legs back that awful thought attacks my brain... We have to go back on the ocean the same way we came or hike out for three days.  Suddenly hiking sounds like something I would like to take up.  Really you can't make me get back on that floating disaster for another two plus hours with my loved ones. Can't be any worse going back???  Deep breathing... Jeff, interrupts my anxiety party "good job I am so proud of you three we are here let's go hike and enjoy". 

I want to continue stressing and the worry meter is on overtime.  Time to put it away for the sanity of everyone.  This adventure was tops on Jeff's list, it has been his dream for the last 7 years to come to CR and see a very rare Tapier.  Along with our guide Eric we are off to search for tappers and other wildlife.  We find it all monkeys, lizards, snakes, coatimundi (who we observe eating turtle eggs in the sand - sad but that is nature) a giant iguana... No Tapier.  We see untouched rain forest, cross a few streams and stop for a break at the ranger station.  Bathroom breaks and time for a diaper change, Hunters not mine.

Our stop at the ranger station is over.  Back into our dripping wet shoes and socks, squish squish squish... Hunter back in the backpack on daddy's back and let's go look for the illusive Tapier (hoping for Jeff and Heather we see one), before we head to the boat, yep, I am still thinking about the ride back.  The hiking is a piece of cake and Heather is in her element.   Hunter catches a few winks in the back pack and and and....our guide finds the Taiper.... Picture time and huge smiles.

Our time at the reserve is done and now it's time to try and get back in the boat. No time to think of a game plan they are in the surf saying hurry hurry... I need my head examined.  Heather and I make a break for it, so we can get Hunter and Jeff on next.  Ouch... My chin gets knocked by a big piece of wood... That's going to leave a mark...  I am determined, I am in Heather is in, our stuff, next  Hunter and Jeff ...yes yes celebrating.  We are in.... Then our guide shouts watch out. Yikes a wave hit us. Probably a small wave but seemed like a 10 footer to me as it came over the bow of our boat.  Guess who was front and center.

We are through the surf on our way back.   119 minutes (CR time) but who is counting until we are back... Couldn't be any worse than the way here right... No I am wrong... Rougher seas, freezing cold wind, hard driving rain, more prayers and then a quick peak I open my eyes and let's throw in some lighting. Did you know you can hear thunder over the roar of a boat engine and the sea????  Only 117 minutes to go....praying.  

Since I am writing this you know we made it back safely.  Praise God. This adventure is not for the faint of heart.  And in all fairness maybe we just got a bad day with the conditions.  The entire day Hunter fussed once...And is one super duper amazing TODDLER....

My family is amazing they give me energy, strength and motivation.  My heart is happy when I can witness them enjoying this life.  The boat ride and the adventure was something we will carry in our heart and soul for ever.  It may have cost a few colones, and tested how brave we can be but, the experience was priceless.  We all agree after that experience we won't complain about the weather,  bumps in the road and other little things in life (like I did  in yesterday's post)....

Today we are just kicking back and taking it easy not moving except to our own will and staying dry... Life is good!   

Pictures to follow uploading now.  Also stories and reviews to follow from Jeff and Heather....




No comments:

Post a Comment