Friday, August 8, 2014

Sticky And primitive





We have arrived on the Oso Penninusla.  The flight on Nature Air was not bad and the weather cooperated.  I only had to say the Lord's Prayer once and there was a beautiful rainbow, which also helps to sooth ones soul. Hunter loved it and slept through most of it.  We were met at the air strip by caretakers of the VRBO who showed us the way to our home for the next 5 days.  A brief stop at the market for a few items and a few colones later 107,024.00 (also known as $200.00), we arrived.   Primitive is probably a compliment or to be fair it's no place for a 16 month old.  The location couldn't be better but it is like living on your patio.   Open air, no doors, no walls except in the kitchen.  Who would have thought I would miss doors.  Sticky - humid.  It feels like we are in a sauna...  Ok wondering how this Marriott mascot (me) is going to survive the next 5 days, no internet so I am drafting this blog now so I can remember those first thoughts.  Feeling  like the Hylands need to go back to the bat cave and re-think this portion of the trip.  Didn't know how much of an irvineite I had turned into.  

Although I was questioning the lack of creature comforts today.... We had a great time around the local area with Nature.  Two types of monkeys out of the four species that live in Costa Rica, a toucan and scarlet beautiful macaws in the wild that land in a tree just off the house....I mean patio.  Speaking of macaws I hear they will be squawking their head off at 5 am. It may only be 7:58 in the evening but I think it is time for the Hylands to crawl under their mosquito nets and get some sleep 

Heather helpful hints and thoughts... As she chases Hunter around this free landscape:
As we rolled up to the tin roofed casa we thought how fun!!! Living like Swiss Family Robinson! Lol I looked around and loved the Costa Rican style of amazing woods and rich colors. I saw stairs and no doors and thought "oh boy Hunter is going to love it here but we are going to be exhausted!" Hunter looked up at yveethe stairs like it was the stairway to heaven! He just loves stairs and it gives me a heart attack. We looked around the area and found a gold mine of little hermit crabs that Hunter oooooed and ahhhhed at! It was like watching the 405 fwy of hermit crabs at rush hour ...they were everywhere, what a delight! We have an amazing view of the ocean that is all ours for the taking. As we look at the sights and sounds we hear red scarlet macaws bellowing in the air CAW CAW!  They landed right in our tree and we couldn't believe our eyes! To see this majestic bird in the wild is a rare sight to behold! They are very endangered and this was quite a treat. We really bird nerded out. We took a drive and found so many birds of prey along with spider and squirrel monkeys! We were so excited! This place is filled with lush,green magical areas. It is truly a gift from above. As the sun set I began to freak out about Mosquitos and sprayed us down. Last trip I ended up with over 53 bites and I'm not going to this time! I geared up for the fight!  

It will be a challenge with a 16 month old who loves to touch everything and not nap but he is having the time of his life. Besides the humid hotness and the sweat dripping everywhere , Hunter seems to not mind it and loves to play in the hose here to cool off. Seeing him having fun makes me think "stop complaining about the heat and just soak it all in", but alas I still complained! Helpful hints: buy a mosquito net one piece suit, don't forget a brush, don't forget your REI pants in the dryer especially made for this trip (ahhhh):( and bring a portable fan! Lol


No comments:

Post a Comment