Thursday, August 14, 2014

Hitting the wall and other Random Thoughts

OMG.  6:41pm I can barely move. I think you would call it officially hitting the wall (which is what I want to say to Jesus in my last minutes on earth, take me I have hit the wall done it all - thank you Lord). It's way too early to go to bed. Doing laundry, making and cooking a light dinner, a hike today here; Parque Nacional Cahuita. 

Now the family has officially seen all 4 breeds of monkeys in CR, not sure if that comes with a monkey merit badge or not, but we definitely should get a badge. Even bigger news Hunter and I had our first sloth sightings. Now we are going to work on the frog badge. Since CR hosts 133 spices...don't think in our next 10 days that will happen.  Going to stick with the monkey movement.

Hunter, took on the ocean again today.  I officially had one of those God GaGa (grandmother) moments. Caught this photo of Hunter by accident when he did a total Hyland and laid on his tummy in the surf. I had goose bumps when I saw it on the camera with the reflection in the sand.  It speaks volumes to my heart.  We have numerous pictures of Rich as an adult doing this same thing.  We are just starting Hunter before he is an adult.

Some may question are adult wisdom in bringing a 16-month-old toddler on this type of vacation. There have been moments we have questioned it too. We all get tired and cranky. Sometimes he has more energy than three of us combined.  We would not chage a thing (except that boat ride).  To see and share in his discovery of everything from a stick, ants, butterflies and (he loves) hermit crabs.  All of  this is a gift as we see his little world expands. Personally, where I am in my life right now, I am so happy to share this experience with Jeff, Heather and Hunter. We are all blessed to do this while we are healthy and active. Will I need a vacation from the vacation probably. Nothing can ever take away the experience of sharing monkey sightings with my family, not something everybody gets to do and seeing Hunter in the ocean and Jeff and Heather smiling and joyfully experiencing nature in all it's wonder.  These memories will forever be stored in my heart and we will have over a thousand pictures to remind us, in case we forget any of the little details of this adventure-experience.  If I know Jeff there will be a really awesome video to follow and to recap this adventure and we can bore all of our friends  when we get back to the US...be prepared home movie night at Hylands Island. It comes with wine for the adults, perhaps we should bring home the Costan Rican boxed wine...yummy...not so much.

Other random thoughts, If your hungry and it's time to eat in CR, you may want to get on that right away.  Don't get overly hungry. Ordering food in Costa Rica is a very very slow process, you walk in your the only people there and it takes an hour perhaps longer to get your food. Part of the reason is that they cook everything fresh and they cook it when you order in the kitchen, one meal at a time. The entire meal process can take over two plus hours. Heather and I decided to order a combination plate today of chicken. We had no idea it would be fried chicken. It was amazing, our taste buds were dancing.  All our meals have been good because they are freshly prepared and we don't always remember this in our American rush to get the food to the table fast.  Just know in CR it will be SLOW slow slow. And they don't have high chairs, which means Heather and Jeff are chasing round the toddler energy ball and really working up an appetite.   August 14, 2014

We will get more pictures of animals and nature soon.  They are on the big cameras and it's a process and I am challenged with technology.  

No comments:

Post a Comment