Sunday, December 21, 2014

Extended family and Friends. Merry Christmas from the Hylands


Wonderful Time of the Year…

It is without a doubt the most "wonderful time of the year". This is the message that keeps playing in my heart this season as 2014 comes to a close.  Life may not look the way I expected it to look but it's the life that God's given me and it is a wonderful life and a blessed time of year.

I started composing the annual reflection of 2014, to share while waiting on a plane in Oakland after a wonderful weekend in San Francisco.  SF, is where the young newlyweds (Rich and Jackie), honeymooned all those moons ago (40 years November 30).  This weekend it was about girlfriends, old memories, making new ones, figuring out Uber, public transportation, sightseeing and witnessing the spirit of Christmas in the big city.

Jeff, Heather and Hunter moved in last December to "get ahead" and our planning to move into their new place in January, before the arrival of Hunters new little brother (River), arriving in February.  It has been a year full of early wake up calls, smiles and a toddler who likes to cuddle on occasion when he wonders into GaGa's room in the morning (I have not needed an alarm clock for several months and I love it). Days spent with him at Disneyland and to see him change and learn so much about his world has been such a wonderful experience.  A wonderful and needed distraction.  Amen! 

Last January I went on my second mission trip to Haiti and excited to say I will be going on my 3rd trip with GSLC, this January.  I would like to say it is wonderful and it is for me... I get so much more than I can ever give to those resilient Haitian people.  Prayers wonderfully acceptedJanuary 9-19th for team safety and how we can impact, improve and give hope to the Haitians people we see in clinic.

It was a wonderful year for me to travel, vacation and discover adventure. From weekend get a ways with my friend and fellow travel buddy Kathi, to 3 weeks in Costa Rica, and time in Hawaii. Costa Rica was quite the adventure experience with Jeff, Heather (expecting) and Hunter (17 months at the time). In 3 weeks we travelled to 6 different locations, from the Pacific Ocean to the Caribbean, cloud forest to volcanoes, putting over 1300 kilometers on the rental car, seeing amazing animals and wonderful scenery that truly took my breath away.  A wonderful memory to be treasured forever.  Great pictures on the blog (info below).

Then it was time for a wonderful vacation (discovered this year vacation is different from Adventure) at the Hyland families’ favorite spot Kauai, (a tradition and legacy started by Rich and I can't wait to take Hunter and River there some day). Michael never says no to a trip with mom, where he gets to relax and walk a few hundred yards into the warm pacific and be surfing.  He does his best to keep up with his dad’s tradition of Mai Tai's and relaxing, but those are some big flip-flops to fill. Vacationed with some of my Haitian sister team members and it was so enjoyable showing them the island we love from shave ice, luaus, to gorgeous scenery.

This would be a wonderful time to thank everyone who participated in the GSLC- Hyland's Island Golf Classic last July at beautiful Oak Creek Golf Course.  Celebrating Rich and what would've been his 61st birthday seeing all the family, friends - new and gold... The water polo teammates from CDM, neighbors, work associates and my church family.  Seeing some of the proceeds directly working in Haiti, again this year is such a humbling experience; it brings tears to my eyes to be part of these two events, which have a wonderful effect on each other and me. We look forward to seeing everyone in July 2015!

I may be one of the few people who love Christmas letters and cards. Sending, (although last year the calendar switched from December to January really fast and they didn't get sent), and receiving, saying hello and catching up. It's Wonderful... Although I think this is one part of the season where I would vote we have until the spring to complete this task.

It is a wonderful time of year to praise and celebrate the birth of my personal Lord and savior Jesus Christ. However, you celebrate we send love to you from the Hyland’s, wishing every one joy, health, and prosperity in the New Year.

I will be experiencing some major nest adjustments in the New Year when Jeff and his family move. All of those "let's get together soon" promises and that wine that needs to be enjoyed - Let's just say I will be calling...  You can call or email me too.

Merry Christmas every one 

Aloha and God Bless your wonderful time of the year.

 

 












No comments:

Post a Comment